Seeking a Remote Full-time Senior Corporate Associate Attorney, Startup and Venture Capital to join a uniquely mission-driven law firm in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The playing field is not equal for founders and VC fund managers led by women, people of color, and other groups that have been historically under-represented in Silicon Valley. Venturous Counsel’s goal is to provide seasoned and practical corporate/commercial advice exclusively to diverse-led companies and funds that prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion in their own organizations. Our mission is to do all that we can to support these startups and funds critical to transforming the startup landscape into one that actually represents the people who use technology. They are exactly who will most benefit from the guidance of experienced and mindful outside general counsel.
About the Role:
We are seeking a Senior Full-time Corporate Associate Attorney with at least 5+ years of prior experience in the corporate representation of startups and experience in securities and equity financings to join a uniquely mission-driven law firm in the San Francisco Bay Area. You will be working in a business at the ground level as it scales – it will inform how you counsel your startup clients in a tangible and beneficial way. We are a remote-only company, and this role can be located anywhere in the U.S. Compensation for this role ranges from $220K-$270K base salary.
Make a difference and provide service in a way that aligns with your values and motivations.
Join us and build something that matters.
What You’ll Do:
- Managing all corporate legal processes (e.g., securities, equity financings, incorporation, mergers & acquisitions, compliance issues, transactions, and general corporate counseling)
- Advising clients on a wide range of corporate law and commercial matters and managing client relationships
- Managing transactions and performing legal due diligence—researching, anticipating and · guarding the company against legal risks
- Guiding startups and VC funds to ensure compliance with rules and regulations
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating contracts and other legal documents
- Negotiating early-stage financing deals and attending board meetings
Who We’re Looking For:
- JD from an accredited law school and licensed and in good standing to practice law in at least one state (preferably California).
- 5+ years of substantive legal experience working for high-growth, early-stage businesses and active investors in connection with proven background on corporate law (securities, equity financings, incorporations, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate counseling.
- A self-motivated and proactive approach to managing client relationships: must be invested in our clients and deeply committed to obtaining the best possible outcome for them.
- Interested in working with clients in the startup and venture capital community and addressing inequities in the startup/VC system.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and exemplary attention to detail.
- Outstanding organizational skills to handle multiple projects simultaneously and effectively prioritize deadlines.
Interested candidates must be willing to take an assessment.
At Venturous Counsel, we offer resources that underscore the importance of taking care of yourself and maintaining your well-being. We cover 100% of your healthcare premiums, including dental and vision. We offer six weeks of paid family leave, three weeks of accrued PTO, and flexible, remote working arrangements. Additional perks include a budget to set up your home office and a monthly wellness and internet stipend. To help you plan for the future, we offer a 401(k) plan with up to 5% matching.
Mentorship is an important investment in your career, and at Venturous Counsel, you will be trained and mentored by the founder, Aravinda Seshadri, who has over 17 years of experience providing outside GC advice to early-stage startups and funds. She helped found the law firm Silicon Legal Strategy and has worked with top-tier clients and investors, such as Lyft, TaskRabbit, Hustle Fund, Rakuten, and Felicis Ventures. You will receive training on corporate and commercial transactions and the basic areas of law that startups generally encounter, in order to allow you to serve as general counsel to these valuable companies and funds. More importantly, you’ll receive guidance on the nuances and soft skills that will allow you to build trust and create a personal brand. And one of the greatest perks is working with the amazing team we’ve built and the appreciative, values-aligned clients hand-picked by the founder – the change in your quality of life is hard to overstate.
Venturous Counsel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the startups and fund managers we work with and strongly encourage candidates from under-represented communities to apply.